Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Liar Liar

I've been believing a lie.  For the past three days my stove has been trying to convince me that I have a burner on.  Usually it's right.  I can't tell you how many times I have left a burner on and sat down to a meal without once thinking to turn it off.  (I know Mom, for such a smart girl...)  But in this case, the burners are indeed off.  I've checked....like a million times!

I'm not certain why the "Element On" light refuses to dim.  I'm getting rather accustomed to things not working properly around here.  Nevertheless, I find myself constantly checking the stove top to make certain that it's not hot.  I see the red light and immediately think that I must have forgotten to turn the burners off.  Even though I know the light is broken, I still have to check.

This is not the first time I have been deceived.  I've been lied to before.  I have believed some real dandies.  

When I was in high school I had a boyfriend who was in the Army.  While he was away for training he called to tell me that he was being deployed to Iraq.  Over the course of several weeks he would call and give me detailed reports from the front line.  Turns out that he never even left the state!  
I don't usually fall for whoppers like that, but I have been bamboozled by numerous little lies.  I've purchased products that were too good to be true, and I've been taken by make-money-quick schemes.  I've followed diets, routines, regiments and regimes that all promised dramatic results.  I have taken bad advice, and I've been hustled by sweet talk.  

It frustrates me when I realize that I've been naive, when I've been a sucker.  But the biggest lies that I have believed haven't come from sly foxes.  In fact, the lies that I fall hardest for tend to originate in my very own psyche.  

I often believe that I'm dumb.  Even if I would have tried harder in school I probably wouldn't have done much better.  I'm a poor wife and lousy mother.  My family deserves much better.  I'm not even a good housewife, I'm home all day and still can't keep up with the laundry.  I'm not a very attractive woman.  I am not intelligent enough to be interesting.  I'm not popular or fun to be with.  All in all, I pretty much suck.

I know in my heart that these things are not true.  But just like my stove, whenever the little red light in my mind flashes an error message, I assume it's right.  I immediately believe that there must be something wrong with me.  Do you wanna know what's really wrong with me?  I've waste too much time believing stupid things! 

Psa 139:14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
  
            
   

No comments:

Post a Comment