Friday, September 28, 2012

Granny

So, a little tidbit about me...I have a multiple personality disorder, kinda.  It's under control now that I am a very busy wife and mother, I've no spare time to be anybody else but me.  But as a young woman I would often parade around dressed as an old lady.  In fact, I had a whole host of granny disguises and aliases.  Mavis Davis from Avis, Shirley Whirlington, Judith Ann McCallahan, Sister Mary Berry, Loretta Looper of Looper's Super-duper Double-sided Sticky-tape Company...that's just to mention a few.  I called my "troupe", Steeple People, and I would actually go to churches to speak and perform little skits.

I liked performing, but I really loved acting like an ol' woman!  When in costume, I'd drive down the interstate for fifteen miles with my left turn signal blinking the whole way.  I would walk through Walmart hunched over with a slight limp and ask young people to reach items off high shelves for me.  I'd traipse around with toilet paper stuck to my shoe and my slip showing.  It was a hoot!
I can't wait till I'm old and get to do that stuff for real!  I'm gonna be one of those grannies that wears a polyester tracksuit everyday, and I'm going to ride an electric scooter everywhere as if it were a car.  I'm going to pinch cheeks and call everybody "honey"!  I've decided that I am going to have a blast being old. 

I want to be like my grandma.  She became a double amputee in her eighties due to diabetes and learned how to walk on prosthetic legs.  That takes spunk!  And she did it with a lot of grace, it's not easy having others tend to your every need.  I thank God now that I had the opportunity to help care for her.  I didn't always feel that way...scrubbing your grandma's bum is a humbling task to say the least!         
But she was a wonderful woman who influenced my life more than any other person in this world.  She taught me a lot about life and Jesus...and she made a mean ambrosia salad!  

I miss my grandma, but yesterday I had the extreme pleasure of having another grandmother speak to my heart.  A woman that I have known my entire life called me up out of the blue just to encourage me.  What a treat!  That doesn't happen everyday...and boy did I need it.     
There is nothing sweeter than the words of a woman who has experienced life, stood in your shoes, and has remembered to turn back to minister you though it as well.  How awesome!

Titus 2:3-5
         Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.  Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

Not everybody gets excited about these verses, but I do.  I love the idea that we need grandmothers in our lives to teach us to be godly women.  They strengthen and encourage us to live lives that honor God and our family.  We need to glean from this magnificent ladies!  

Honestly, I don't think that we can have enough of these kind of women in our lives.   We may disagree with our mothers, but nobody argues with grandma! 
As for me, I am looking forward to being a grandma to the next generations.  I'm sure I'll have a ton of sage advise and words of  wisdom to impart!  And the world will have to listen...because by the time I'm old enough to have any amount of insight to share I'm sure that I'll be repeating myself repeating myself.       
      



1 comment: