Monday, September 17, 2012

Pearl of Wisdom

It's been a rough weekend for our youngest, Piper.  She is nearly nine months old and has yet to cut her first real tooth.  She was born with two floppy little teeth but has since sucked them off.  I've been trying my best to see any emerging teeth pushing their way through but she's remaining quite tight lipped...literally.  I have poked my finger in there, tried to pry her jaws apart, and have even held her upside down while tickling her toes, but no luck.  I can't see a single tooth trying to sprout.  What I can see is her bulging, swollen gums.  She's feverish and fussy, all tale tell signs that teeth are about to arrive.

These impending teeth remind me of pearls.  I'm sure we all have heard how the oyster produces a pearl.  Just a little speck gets itself stuck inside the oyster's shell and proceeds to irritate the oyster, much like a splinter.  The oyster's natural reaction is to cover up the irritation with an ointment of sorts.  It uses the same substance that created its shell, nacre, to soothe the soreness.  Before long the layers of nacre form a pearl.

When I think of all the things in this world that irritate me, I could probably produce one whopper of a pearl!  However, I don't tend to share the oyster's optimistic outlook.  I don't often see my suffering as an opportunity to create something good.  I see it as a reason to be discontent and complain.  I sometimes even view it as an attack.  Why would God allow me to feel so terribly?  Doesn't he love me?

I believe that we all have experienced real suffering at least once in our lives, something that utterly breaks our heart or will.  Now, suffering may make you a stronger person... but I doubt it.  We give far too much credit to the wound when we think that way.  I do, however, believe that brokenness is a wonderful place to begin.  Only when we are hurting do we need a Healer!  The process of healing is only way to benefit from suffering.  

It's not pleasant, just ask the oyster.  It's not comfortable, as Piper could attest.  But just like pearls and teeth, the road to riches is marked with suffering.  But be assured, the prize is well worth the pain.  
It's not hard to be wounded in this world, the list of possible irritations is endless.  But we don't have to suffer senselessly.  Pain has a purpose, and allowing God the opportunity to heal our hurts brings forth great reward...pearls, in fact!  

  
   
      
    

No comments:

Post a Comment