Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hunger Pangs

I have nothing to say today...not one thing.  I wish I had a good excuse, but I don't.  In fact, my explanation is really quite sad.  I'm ashamed to even admit it.
The truth is that I haven't been spending much time with Jesus.  I've been busy lately...I've been lazy.  I have allowed my life to interfere with my life.  
And I'm beginning to suffer from the ill effects of malnutrition.  I feel sluggish and uninspired.  I'm snappy and rather defensive.  My mood grows melancholy.  But, that's what happens when I don't take the time to be feed.  I begin to shut down.     

This is what spiritual starvation looks like in it's beginning stages.  Without proper nourishment, my strength against attack decreases.  My ability to stand confidently in my faith begins to falter.  All the sudden, I'm tempted to lap up a little slop just to fend off the pangs of hunger.  But, why?  I don't need to be hungry!  

"You prepare a table before me..." Psalms 23:5

Christ has a table set for me, a feast prepared for me to come dine.  All I have to do is sit down and partake.   I have the opportunity to be refreshed and filled each day with the finest fare.  I have an open invitation to overindulge in His great love for me.  Why should I be content to scavenge for mere morsels when He has a banquet before me?  

Ironic isn't it, that when I have a full plate, I often forget to eat?  Foolish girl.   



No comments:

Post a Comment