Monday, August 27, 2012

Birds-eye View

It's been a rough year for the birds.  In spite of my weird fear of birds, I even feel sorry for beady-eyed little buggers.  It's not like we are intentionally trying to kill them!

Our kitchen has two large windows that oppose each other.  Together they make the entire kitchen feel open and bright.  Together they also create havoc for the avian community.  
Rarely a day goes by that we aren't startled by a loud "thunk" of a bird careening into the far window.  Apparently they think they can just fly through the house and avoid going around.  I'm lazy too and can totally understand their bird-logic.  But sadly, the dumb bird is wrong.  Dead wrong.  Just plain dead.
Once in a while one will survive but doom still lingers.  A few giant crows have heard of our beak-busting window and have taken up residence in a nearby tree.  They have graciously offered to troll the area and tend to the injured.  As they swoop down and scoop 'em up, I try to think happy thoughts.  Deep down I know what's really going on.   
But the ones who don't get carried off by the crows drop lifelessly under the window into the yard.  Nine times out of ten, Josh dutifully discards their carcass by flinging them into the woods...a farewell flight of sorts.  But, on the occasion that we do not detect the deceased, our lawn is peppered with pigeon parts as I trudge by with the push mower.  Now, I'm not a big fan of birds when they are alive, I don't even enjoy them when their dead. I certainly don't like them pureed and strewn across the yard.  Gross.

Why can't these birds just see that there is a window?  It not like the window is even clean.  Surely they can see the millions of finger prints on it.  I certainly can!  They are so focused on the other side of the window that they completely overlook the window itself. 

I'd like to think that I am smarter than a robin, but the truth is that I too can be a bit of a birdbrain when I consider all the things I have focused my attention on.  I have been distracted by all sorts of worthless pursuits.  I have been blind to injustice and overlooked people.  I have ignored responsibility.  I've looked for the worst in others and hunted for reasons to be dissatisfied.  I've seen what I've wanted to see.  I have focused on my own point of view.  In fact, I'm rather nearsighted.  I can focus on myself with great ease, but yet, I have a hard time seeing the "big picture".
  
God tells is to fix our eyes on the unseen.  He is the unseen.  His will, his glory is what we are to be focused on...not because he needs our attention, but because he wants our attention.  He wants to be the focus of everything we do.  He wants us to look for Him because he wants us to really see him!  He has so much to show us if we just look. 

God is not hiding.  Much like our window, he is right in front of our beaks!  The moment we overlook him, "thunk"!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment