Friday, August 17, 2012

Housebroken

I'm slowly becoming a domesticated woman.  Josh and I have been married for nearly six years and I can almost flip a dippy egg without losing the dippy!  But my cooking skills, although improved, still have a long way to go.  What I have found is that I'm more of a fix-it kinda girl.  I really enjoy home improvement projects.  And boy did our home need some improvement!
   
After living in a parsonage for the first few years of married life we took the plunge into home ownership.  The day before our son was born we signed the papers on a 1930s brick two-story and promptly moved in.  The house had "good bones" but was in dire need of a face lift.  The exterior was overgrown from years of neglect and the interior was outdated, painted with blaring colors .  With time we have managed to remodel the kitchen and bathroom, as well as knock out a few walls and refinish the beautiful hardwood floors that had been buried beneath red shag carpet.  
Now, I'm no Bob Vila, and neither is Josh.  Just about everything we have improved has first been made worse in our attempts to better it.  We are trial by error learners when it comes to construction.  So, it was by no surprise that when it came to refinishing the stairs, we were once again over our heads.  The risers were destroyed by a million nail holes left from carpet runners and an old chair lift that had once been installed.   Deep gashes also marred the surface and layers of paint were pealing with age.  A proper fix would have taken hours of tedious work that would likely be ruined again by our own foot traffic.  
I decided to "fake-a-fix".  With a stroke of genius I purchased a remnant of shag carpet from Lowes, along with a box of carpet tacks.  And though Josh was skeptical, I went right to work measuring the risers and cutting the carpet with a utility knife.  Then with the tacks I nailed each piece into position.  Presto!  
The long shag conceals the tacks and actually reduces noise.  It looks nice and only cost me $15.  How's that for super-awesomeness?!

So, what have we learned today?  
Not all shag carpet is evil...and Josh should never doubt my brilliance.
Class dismissed.                     
        

1 comment:

  1. They do look good! You are awesome... however, you do not give yourself enough credit with cooking. We have shared many a meal with you, so I know you can cook. You make the best lasagna.

    ReplyDelete