Wednesday, August 15, 2012

VANity

I believe all women run headlong into motherhood believing three basic lies.


1.  I will never be the mom parading around in oversized sweatpants sporting the      ponytail/ballcap combo with formula unknowingly hurled down my back.

2. My children will not act like heathens in public, throwing tantrums or talking back.

3. We will NEVER own a minivan.

If you too have fallen prey to these lies feel comforted that you are not alone.  You can indeed reclaim your sense of style and kids will eventually grow up but the minivan is probably here to stay. If buying a vehicle that you like is difficult, imagine how gut-wrenching it is to buy one you hate!  It's like going to a resturant and paying for terrible food...there is just no satisfaction in it and you leave feeling outraged that you actually spent money to be disappointed.  We could have ate at home and been disappointed for free!
To add insult to injury we bought the ugliest van on the lot.  But sure enough, when that sliding door opens to reveal a spacious interior with ample seating, it's hard not to cave into the wonders of a minivan.
Regardless, I look at our van with distaste.  I hate driving up alongside people in cool cars and parking next to fancy-mobiles. Then God gently reminds me of Fawn.
Fawn was a women in our first church.  Her husband was in and out of jail while she raised four teenagers by herself.  She was sweet and kind.  The day that she had rolled up to church in her decrepit Dodge Caravan that was eighteen shades of rust, she couldn't have been more excited.  "I've been praying for a new car and God answered!"  
I think of Fawn driving away with smoke rolling out the exhaust as she and all four kids smiled and waved from their "new" van.  I think of her when my own pride gets in the way of my thankfulness.  God has provided me with a gold minivan and I shall be grateful!   

3 comments:

  1. First of all, did everyone notice that Sarah posted this at 5:55am!!!!!!! Oh girl:) Secondly, I personally have driven that minivan and I will forever be fascinated by the "magic button" I push and watch in awe as it shuts the door itself!!!! Thirdly, I am humbled by your honesty. You have taught me again to be thankful. And last but not least....I LOVE YOU! My brother could not have found a more amazing match:) Your adoring sister in law, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be too impressed, Jill. I had the time stamp set for Pacific time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the past week I have been driving around in my recently acquired minivan with my hair pulled back in a ponytail... No sweat pants, but I think it is time I start doing something stylish and girlie with myself. Thanks for the reminder!

    And for anyone who NEVER wants to drive a minivan... Get over your pride. I really had to work through that when I begrudgingly realized my Forester just didn't have enough room and a vehicle with third row seating was not really an option with bulky car seats. It was the best thing because while my kiddos are small having more room is almost as amazing as the little people God has entrusted to us.

    ReplyDelete