Tuesday, August 28, 2012

In With the New

We have just returned home from purchasing a new dishwasher and garbage disposal.  I'm not sure whether to be delighted or devastated.  In less than one year we have had to replace every appliance we own, with the exception of the stove.  Don't worry though, the stove broke too.  We wouldn't want it to feel left out.  Thankfully though, after anointing it with olive oil, persistent prayer, and a new electrical cord, it was resuscitated.  However, the cord incident led to rewiring most of the house.
In addition, the grill died.  The driveway needed patched and sealed, as well as a hole in the garage roof.  The roof on the house is being inspected tomorrow to determine just how much longer we can expect it to last. 
The list is endless.  


All of this is proof positive that our home is in a constant state of decline.  Nothing here is going to last forever.  At the rate we are going it will be a miracle if any of it is still working by the end of the week!  It's frustrating.  We work so hard to have nice things.  We work harder still to maintain those nice things.  Then we work twice as hard to get those dumb things to barely squeeze out the back door just to be hauled off to the dump!  It's disheartening.  Who doesn't want to have nice stuff?  I'd be lying if I raised my hand.  

I like the look of new.  I like the way new feels as I caress it gently.  I love the way new smells.  Furthermore, I look good in new.  New fits me just right and makes me feel good about myself.  New is the new new!  
But soon enough, new gets a little wrinkled.  The kids spill juice on new.  The dog pees on new, and before I know it, new gets old.  I don't like old...not nearly as much as I liked new.  Old makes me look frumpy.  Old kinda smells funny.  Old is just so...old.  

What is it about material possessions that makes us feel this way?  Why do we keep buying, collecting, even hoarding?  None of it will last.  Why do we need so much stuff?  Is it really a matter of convenience?  Because really, it's becoming quite inconvenient having to replace all these things.  Do material things make me a better person?  Do they make me more like Jesus?  Is Jesus impressed with all my wonderful stuff?  I doubt it.

Sometimes I am deeply convicted about the amount of stuff I have amassed.  I think of those who have far less and I wonder if God meant to bless me with all these earthly treasures.  Maybe we misheard the Lord when he said it was okay for us to buy the flat screen TV since it was such a great deal.  Maybe we didn't.  But I do wonder about these things. 
I don't think Jesus is opposed to us having nice things, after all, he did create heaven for us to enjoy.  From the sound of it he spared no expense.  But if my treasures on earth outweigh my treasures in heaven, then I have wasted my time here and squandered my reward there.  
I need to remember that when I am convinced that I need new.  Perhaps a new perspective will help me...after all, I like new.   


No comments:

Post a Comment